Business Appreciation Week to be Celebrated June 6-10
Business Appreciation Week is being celebrated in Danville and Pittsylvania County from June 6 – June 10, 2016. With a tagline of “Thank you for choosing to grow here,” the region is planning events to show appreciation to businesses that have chosen to locate, invest, and grow in the region.
There are currently more than 2,930 employers in Danville and Pittsylvania County that provide jobs, that contribute to our tax base and support the amenities that improve our quality of life. With more than 38,000 people employed in Danville and Pittsylvania County, the region has a wide range of businesses including manufacturing, healthcare, retail, professional services, food services and restaurants, construction, finance, administrative, education, government, accommodations, recreation and entertainment, information technology, and agriculture. Approximately 95 percent of the employers in Danville and Pittsylvania County are small businesses, employing fewer than 50 employees.
In recognition of the jobs and investments that businesses provide for our region, there are several events being planned for Business Appreciation Week. A schedule is below:
- Monday, June 6: A free workshop on “Growing an Established Business in the 21st Century” will be held from 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. at Danville Community College’s RCATT Building (121 Slayton Avenue, Danville). The workshop is sponsored by the Longwood Small Business Development Center. There is no cost to attend, but reservations should be made at www.dpchamber.org or by calling 434-836-6990.
- Tuesday, June 7: A breakfast meeting will be held with Danville City Manager Ken Larking as the speaker. The breakfast, which does have a fee, begins at 7:30 a.m. at the Institute for Advanced Learning & Research (150 Slayton Avenue, Danville). Reservations can be made at www.dpchamber.org or by calling 434-836-6990.
- Tuesday, June 7: A free seminar on “Top Ten Success Factors for Early Stage Companies” will be held from 12 noon until 1:30 p.m. at The Launch Place (527 Bridge Street, Suite 200, Danville). Reservations should be made by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wednesday, June 8: A luncheon with Virginia Secretary of Agriculture and Forestry Todd Haymore will be held from 12 noon until 1 p.m. at the Olde Dominion Agricultural Center (19783 US Highway 29 South, Chatham). There is a cost for the luncheon. Reservations can be made at www.dpchamber.org or by calling 434-836-6990.
- Thursday, June 9: A Networking and Appreciation Breakfast, sponsored by the Southern Piedmont Technology Council, will be held from 7:30 – 9 a.m. at the Noblis Center for Applied High Performance Computing (527 Bridge Street, Suite 310, Danville). There is no cost to attend, but registrations should be made at www.sptc-va.org.
- Thursday, June 9: The 3rd Annual River District Association Scavenger Hunt will be held from 5:30 – 8 p.m. in Downtown Danville (JTI Fountain Plaza). Sponsored by American National Bank, BB&T, First Citizens Bank, First State Bank, and PATHS, there is a $500 cash prize. Reservations are not required.
- Friday, June 10: Business leaders can connect with Danville City Council, the Pittsylvania County Board of Supervisors, city and county staff, and the Chamber of Commerce from 5-6:30 p.m. at the Pemberton Lofts Drying Room. This event is by invitation only.
The 2016 Business Appreciation Week is being sponsored by the City of Danville Economic Development, Pittsylvania County Economic Development, and the Danville Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce. Business Appreciation Week will celebrate our local businesses and manufacturers for choosing to locate and grow here. During Business Appreciation Week, we acknowledge the companies that diversify and enhance the economy of Danville and Pittsylvania County.